Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A little R&R: Reduce & Reuse

Don't you hate it when you buy food in a glass bottle or jar and end up throwing it away in the trash when it's empty? Such a waste. (Now I realize that you can recycle glass, but you would be surprised on how many people don't recycle. I confess, I never really did until about a year ago.) But there are so many ways to reuse something in an unconventional way.


For example, take this applesauce jar. Most people may recycle it, or they might even throw it away in the trash. But me, I saw an opportunity to reuse this bad boy. Take a look.


Since my applesauce jars are made of glass, I thought they would be sturdy enough to hold some craft supplies in my craft room. Plus those craft jars are just too pricey for my tight budget. Just fancy it up with some ribbon or whatever you like!


Here's another glass jar that can be reused. I used quite a bit of vinegar around Easter (2 bottles to be exact), but I couldn't bear the thought of throwing the empty jar away. Plus I love the shape of it!




So I turned them into vases. And since I am not gifted with the ability to keep anything living in the house (with the exception of those flowers my hubby gave me for Easter. Those lasted for weeks!), I got some fake daisies to dress it up a bit. I am sure I could do more with these jars. The possibilities are endless!


So with the help of my friend Goo Gone (I LOVE this stuff!) I was able to get off those stubborn label stickers off the jars. This made it incredibly easy! If you have never tried this stuff, go out and buy it. It AMAZING!!

Making Friends also reuses products to make fun crafts that the whole family can do! Check it out!

5 comments:

  1. I'm very familiar with Goo Gone. My youngest sister is 10 years younger than me and when she was growing up I had to clean up after her a lot. She used to chew gum and get it in the carpet so I'd get down on the floor with Goo Gone and that gum would magically come out of the carpet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the applesauce jars! They look all "spiffied-up" and pretty..good for you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes me want to go out and buy some of that vinegar just for the jar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really a great idea. And the jars look so cute too. Aren't we always looking for containers? Great idea.
    I am visiting from Feature yourself friday.
    Cute blog.
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great ideas, I don't like throwing away glass jars either!

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha thinkin?